Monday, August 17, 2009

bit of a set back


So, it looks like the quality of the cheapest LEDs I could get is not what I'd call consistent, it's come back to haunt me. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, and certinally not that I think i definitely wouldn't have this problem if I'd spent more on LEDs. I can't help be a bit disappointed after all that work. It's not something I spotted testing the LEDs, when they are powered alone they look fine, but lined up like this, they do stick out as a lot dimmer. At least it seems to be only the blue that is affected, which I suppose comes down to the manufacturing process, blue being the newest and therefore no doubt least well controlled. If you look at this photo, only the 1 plane of blue is lit but you can distinctly see that some of the LEDs are considerably dimmer then most. In this one plane I count 11, which is fairly poor, over 10%. They do still work, and frankly, i'm a bit burned out on soldering LEDs at the moment, so I'm going to leave it. I'm going to take a few days off and then finish doing the control electronics. Then after I start programming some patterns, i'll reconsider taking it apart and swapping out the dim LEDs. I'd probably have to order some more since I only have about 30 left over and I'll potentially need 80 or 90, and if 10% is the normal failure rate, in other words I'll need 100. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

visitor counter